WHAT WE SUPPORT
NPE strongly opposes the arming of teachers and school personnel as the means to end gun violence in schools.
- Banning assault weapons and large capacity magazines.
- Universal background checks, which requires closing the gun show loophole.
- Expanding state/federal reporting cooperation regarding disqualification from possessing firearms.
- Revising and tightening laws regarding possession including raising the minimum age to 21 and prohibiting sales to those on the terrorist watchlist, those convicted of any crime (including domestic abuse) as well as those who have been the subject of court orders of protection.
- Requiring the licensing and registration of guns in all states.
- Requiring the reporting of lost or stolen guns.
- Enacting federal gun trafficking laws and regulating bulk gun purchases.
- Federal funding for school security measures, with needs determined by communities.
- Increased funding for mental health services, bullying prevention, conflict resolution, restorative justice programs and programs that help students identify and report those who threaten violent actions.
- Increased funding for mental health services.
- Programs that build empathy and compassion such as bullying prevention, conflict resolution and restorative justice programs.
- Awareness and prevention programs that help students identify and report those who threaten violent actions to authorities before its too late.